Bhakra Nangal Dam is truly a prized and esteemed achievement of independent India. The construction of Bhakra Dam involved a single largest investment during the first five year plan of 1951-1956. The project was undertaken just after independence with great zeal and patriotic passion of building a developed nation. It was an American top ranked construction company that started the construction of this stunningly engineered project. On 22 October 1963, Jawaharlal Nehru inaugurated this perfect symbol of country’s development and pride.
Bhakra Nangal Dam marks the beginning of a golden era in India’s path towards development. In 1966 under the Punjab Reorganization Act, Bhakra Beas Management Board (BBMB) has been constituted for effective administration and development of Bhakra dam. Since then, BBMB is committed to exploit the maximum hydro power potential of Bhakra dam without affecting natural environment and surroundings. It has provided much needed renovation and modernization of the existing infrastructure.
Today in 2013, BBMB has set a great stage to celebrate the 50th glorious year of a golden era, 22nd October – 22nd October 2013. Following points justify the need of a memorable event for Bhakra Dam.
Modernization of Bhakra Dam
The contract has been assigned to consortium of M/s Sumitomo-Japan, Hitachi-Japan and Andritz-Austria at an approximate cost of 490 crores. This project is dedicated to the renovation and uprating of Bhakra power house, which would increase the existing power capacity of 108 MW to126 MW.
Bhakra Dam’s Eco-Friendly Power Generation
Bhakra Nangal dam is dedicated to power production without significant environmental losses and also minimizing the global warming effect:
1. Environmentally the Bhakra project activity leads to lesser generation of fossil fuel based electricity, which would have contributed to increased emission of green house gases like carbon dioxide, methane, hydro fluoro carbons and many other potentially harmful gases.
2. Bhakra dam has made it possible for BBMB to individually participate in the Clean-Development-Mechanism (CDM) project. The CDM project also helps in the sustainable development of the region.
3. An Emission Reduction Purchase Agreement (ERPA) with World Bank has been signed by the BBMB for the sale of 2,40,000 CERs @ Euro 9/CER upto December 2013 . Process of signing of second ERPA for the sale of 5,65,000 CERs starting from 31st December 2013 has been initiated.
Superior Performance Of Bhakra Nangal Dam
4. Bhakra dam has helped BBMB to bag the national award of meritorious performance of Bhakra power houses for 2008-09 on 29.01.2010.
5. Bhakra Dam has made it possible for BBMB to win the 4th India Power Award 2011 for it’s overall utility in performance and power generation.
Undoubtedly, Bhakra Nangal dam has played a major role in the agricultural, industrial and overall development of the county and specifically Punjab, Haryana and Rajasthan. Bhakra dam is truly a temple to India’s vision of growth. It has played and is playing a crucial role in making India, a self sufficient nation in terms of food, energy and much more.
On 22nd October 2013, you can eye witness the memorable event of 50th anniversary of a prestigious possession offered by Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru with a vision of developed nation.